Expert Info

Posted by Dubscan
on 24 Sep 2016
I am on the thinking stage of moving to Valencia in 2017 and kind of lost where to begin with all that is involved. Need as much information and help/advice as I can get at this time. I am from Dublin, been living in Canada for years. Have my Irish/EU passport (Canadian one also) and guess first question is do I need to complete any forms before I go? I am not planning on working there. Would rent for awhile. Health insurance how are the costs. Thank you and appreciate any help, tips and advice, John
Meagan on 26 Sep 2016 - 08:21
Hi there,

I would recommend doing as much research as you can - our page on Moving to Valencia is a good place to start as a general overview. This list of Pros and Cons of Moving to Valencia may also be useful. 

You could try Googling for blogs of expats in Valencia to get a real idea of what it's like to live there. Also, if you have a look at our Expat Experiences in Spain page, you'll see there are a handful of expats living in Valencia that we've interviewed, so those are worth a read.

As an EU national it should be relatively easy to move to Spain - you should only need your Irish passport. However, I would recommend double checking any documentation requirements with a local Spanish embassy or consulate before leaving.

As for health insurance, I would recommend contacting some international health insurance companies directly for a quote.

Best of luck with the move!

Anonymous (not verified) on 26 Sep 2016 - 14:56
Hi Meagan, Thanks for this advise greatly appreciate it. Yes for sure I will do as much research as possible and check out sites you have given me. Yes I had heard that my Irish/EU passport and my Irish Birth Certificate are all required re moving there. I am hoping that someone will come up with their email and I can get to know them and do more of a one on one as time goes by. Thanks again, John
mayamackenzie on 22 Nov 2016 - 15:26
Hi John I just moved to Barcelona. I'm a Canadian with an Irish passport also. There's a lot worth mentioning. Spain bureaucracy is very slow and complicated. But with your EU passport you can move to Spain no problem. The rule is you must register within 3 months and in order to register you must have an apartment. So first you get a bank account, then you rent an apartment. But in order to get a phone and bills in your name etc. you must get a NIE number (similar to sin card in Canada) It's quite a process. First you need a bank account, you can't do anything with out one. Then you need the apartment & lease agreement. Once you have that you can register at the town hall. From there you must get health insurance and prove you have enough money to live then show all of this in an application for residency. They will approve it and print you a NIE number. Once you have NIE you can do everything. I found EXPAT INFO DESK- I paid $25ish and found everything I needed to know in their guide. Feel free to ask me questions! Cheers, Maya
Kara on 12 Feb 2017 - 14:44
Hello - I was wondering if anyone can help me on this as well as I am Australian and I am living in France at the moment. I have a CARTE SEJOUR for France - does this enable me to be in Spain? We are looking to move to Valencia this summer. We have been told yes it allows me to be in Spain however can I work? With thanks, Kara
Meagan on 14 Feb 2017 - 07:32
Hi Kara,

I've searched online and can't seem to find a definitive answer to your question - I think it would be best if you can contact your local Spanish embassy, or a French immigration authority, for clarity on this.

Best of luck.

Anonymous (not verified) on 14 Feb 2017 - 08:58
Thanks Meagan Yes I'll do my research! I will Come back to you as I have allot of questions! Regards, Kara
Anonymous (not verified) on 15 Feb 2017 - 00:47
Hi Maya, Thank you for the information and I will take yours advice. How much approx. do they want to see in your account and how much per month should you have coming in? Hope you're doing good and it is all going well for you. Thank you, John
Anonymous (not verified) on 15 Feb 2017 - 08:53
Hello Meagan, To rent a property just outside of Valenica what do you need for the landlord? Are there many private rentals? What is a nice area that you know and can suggest. References from past landlords? Eventually we would like to buy however this is much later. Agencies or is there a expat group who know of rentals of English speaking agencies? Any helps is greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Kara
Meagan on 16 Feb 2017 - 07:50
Hi Kara,

I don't live there myself so unfortunately I'm not able to answer some of your questions. We have a page on Accommodation in Spain, though, which is focused on finding a place to rent and has some good tips. I also found an article by an estate agency about the process of renting and what documents are required - you can click here to see that article.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Magda Lucia on 9 Nov 2017 - 14:43
Hi John, we had been living here for nearly 1 year, my husband is Irish we can help you with some information if you need it

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance -

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!