Expert Info

Posted by
on 24 Jul 2014
Hi, I am considering a move and, while looking through a lot of information, I can't seem to find advice on how to find somewhere to live initially. When applying for a visa, do you need somewhere to have somewhere to live/stay or is your current address all that is needed? And when you arrive in the USA, do you need to have a permantent address or is a temporary address enough to get you started? (be it a hotel, with family/friends etc)
Anonymous (not verified) on 25 Jul 2014 - 08:44
Hi Selket,

What type of visa do you wish to apply for? 

While in many cases you won't need a permanent address, if you plan on moving to the USA in the long-term, I would advise you to apply for the visa from your home country rather than arrive in the USA and then try to make the application.

You should consult the US Dept of State website for more detailed information on all types of visas. You can also use the Visas in the USA page for an overview.

Good luck


Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global - 20% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!