Although EU citizens don't need a work permit in Belgium, non-European expats do. The Belgian work permit is also known as a 'single permit'.

Application forms for work permits in Belgium are obtained from the relevant employment agency in the region of the country the expat intends to work.

Work permits for non-European citizens

Non-European nationals will need a work permit to be legally employed in the country. It's usually the responsibility of the Belgian employer to receive authorisation to hire a foreign worker and apply for a work permit on their behalf.

There are three main types of work permits for non-European citizens in Belgium:

Work Permit B: This short-term permit is valid for a single employer and issued for up to 12 months. Most expats moving to Belgium will require this type of work permit.

Work Permit C: This permit allows foreign nationals to work for multiple employers and is valid for up to 12 months. It is generally granted to specific categories of workers, such as seasonal workers or international students working part-time.

Work Permit D: This is a long-term permit for highly skilled workers and executives employed in Belgium for at least four consecutive years. It is also known as the European Blue Card.

Once the relevant authorities have authorised their employment, the expat employee can apply for a Schengen visa, enabling them to enter the country and stay temporarily.

Useful links

Work permits for European citizens

Citizens of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) don't usually require a work permit for Belgium. European citizens working in Belgium must have a full EU or EEA passport or identity card. These nationals are free to enter Belgium for up to three months to look for work or set up a business. Those staying for more than three months are required to register at their local Belgian town hall.

Useful links

*Work permit regulations are subject to change at short notice, and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global – 10% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!