Most homes in the United Kingdom will already have a gas, water, electric and telephone supplier, and you will usually automatically take over these accounts if you're a new tenant. You must check the meter readings on the day you move into the new home and ensure that the services are transferred into your own name.

Types of utility bills in the UK

Household utility bills typically cover various essential services and expenses. These bills will vary based on factors such as location, household size, and usage patterns.

Household utility bills in the UK include:

Gas and electricity: These bills cover the cost of gas and electricity consumption. Gas and electricity suppliers are privatised in the UK, and you, as a tenant or homeowner, can choose between different providers and easily swap providers if you are out of contract. The largest six energy suppliers are British Gas, E.On, Ovo, EDF, Octopus and Scottish Power, and they will allow you to choose between both fixed and variable rates.

Many expats arriving in the United Kingdom will get help to set up utility providers from an agent or relocation company. If you're not lucky enough to have this arranged for you, you can use companies like Please Connect Me to help manage utility set-ups at your new home.

Oil: Many rural properties are not connected to the gas network and have oil rather than gas boilers. The oil tank will need topping up every month or two. There are hundreds of companies that supply heating oil (kerosene), and you can use companies like Boiler Juice to compare prices.

Water: Most of the water companies in the UK are privatised, although they are generally the only supplier within their area, so there is no option to choose a different supplier. Water bills include charges for both water usage and sewage services, and the cost will vary depending on the region and the amount of water consumed. Some rural properties are not on the mains sewerage system and will have a septic tank or sewerage treatment plant that must be emptied and serviced regularly.

Council tax: This is a local tax collected by local authorities to fund services such as waste collection, street cleaning, and local schools. The amount depends on the property’s valuation and the local council tax band.

TV licence: You must pay a TV licence fee if you watch or record live TV or use the BBC iPlayer. The fee contributes to funding the BBC.

Internet and phone: Charges for broadband internet and landline or mobile phone services are common household expenses. These bills may include fixed monthly charges as well as additional usage fees. When choosing a broadband supplier, consider speed, reliability, customer service and contract terms. Check for installation charges, equipment costs, and potential cancellation fees. The UK’s largest telephone and broadband suppliers include BT, Virgin Media, Sky Broadband and TalkTalk.

Home insurance: While not strictly a utility bill, home insurance is an essential expense to protect against potential damages, theft, or other unforeseen events. The landlord usually covers building insurance.

Other services: Depending on your individual circumstances, there may be additional bills for services like home security systems, satellite or cable TV subscriptions, and maintenance contracts.

Taking meter readings in the UK

All properties will have meters for their gas, electric and water supplies. The gas and electric meters will typically be within the property, although apartment buildings will often have the meters in the common areas. The water meter will typically be outside the property, on the street. 

You may be asked to submit gas and electricity meter readings via the supplier’s website. Every few months these will be manually checked by a representative from the supplier, although many properties now have smart meters, which can be checked remotely by the company.

The letting agent or estate agents should take meter readings before the start of a tenancy or before a property is purchased, but it’s essential for you to check the readings when moving in. 

Paying utility bills in the UK

Most utility companies and councils will send out quarterly bills by post, which can be paid via a bank transfer or credit card online or over the phone. Most people pay via Direct Debit, which automatically takes the money from your bank account each month, similar to ACH Debits in the USA.

Price comparison websites

It’s critical to regularly review energy contracts and compare contracts between the different providers, and there are several price comparison websites that make this job easier. These comparison sites include:

Expat Health Insurance

Cigna Health Insurance

Cigna Global Health Insurance.

Medical insurance specifically designed for expats. With Cigna, you won't have to rely on foreign public health care systems, which may not meet your needs. Cigna allows you to speak to a doctor on demand, for consultations or instant advice, wherever you are in the world. They also offer full cancer care across all levels of cover, and settle the cost of treatments directly with the provider.

Get a quote from Cigna Global – 10% off

Moving Internationally?

Sirelo logo

International Movers. Get Quotes. Compare Prices.

Sirelo has a network of more than 500 international removal companies that can move your furniture and possessions to your new home. By filling in a form, you’ll get up to 5 quotes from recommended movers. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Get your free no-obligation quotes from select removal companies now!